Single Board Computers
Kyonshi
2024-04-19 15:02:14 UTC
What would you say would be a good group to ask about rather obscure
topics with Single Board Computers.
I have a Libre Computer Sweet Potato (an updated Le Potato), which I
have put Batocera on (an emulation system similar to e.g. Retropie, but
much more streamlined, I think it's based on Arch).
Now I have the issue that the system works well, but I can't use the
fan-controls.
Anyone got an idea what group might be the right one to ask, if any?
Danart
2024-04-28 20:22:45 UTC
Post by Kyonshi
What would you say would be a good group to ask about rathe
obscure
Post by Kyonshi
much more streamlined, I think it's based on Arch)
Now I have the issue that the system works well, but I can't us
the
Post by Kyonshi
fan-controls
Anyone got an idea what group might be the right one to ask, i
any

There are computers so small with displays. From one
smaller then the Retro-pie/Rasberry Pie to bigger like the
Legion and GDP/GPD. I prefer my laptop thank you very much

This is a response to the post seen at
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=663878791#66387879
Kyonshi
2024-04-28 22:00:17 UTC
Post by Kyonshi
fan-controls.
Anyone got an idea what group might be the right one to ask, if
any?
There are computers so small with displays. From ones
smaller then the Retro-pie/Rasberry Pie to bigger like the
Legion and GDP/GPD. I prefer my laptop thank you very much.
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=663878791#663878791
Yeah, well, but I like tinkering with it. I just have issues with the
non-standard architecture of the libre computers.
Danart
2024-05-05 18:22:56 UTC
Post by Kyonshi
fan-controls
Anyone got an idea what group might be the right one to ask, i
any

Those are hobby machines, not to be taken seriously at al
in terms of being a replacement. You literally could spend money on
used phone and get the same amount of joy from a desktop. The less yo
know. Check out the book "Blue Ocean Strategy" where i
talks about making new products using outdated parts

Kyonshi
2024-05-05 19:23:20 UTC
Post by Kyonshi
fan-controls.
Anyone got an idea what group might be the right one to ask, if
any?
Those are hobby machines, not to be taken seriously at all
in terms of being a replacement. You literally could spend money on a
used phone and get the same amount of joy from a desktop. The less you
know. Check out the book "Blue Ocean Strategy" where it
talks about making new products using outdated parts.
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=663878791#663878791
I don't have a clue what the jla forums are, but the link gives me the
response

"You appear to be in violation of our Terms Of Service.
Your request to view this site has been denied."

I'm also not sure what your response has to do with what I asked.
Replacement for what?
David LaRue
2024-05-05 20:31:08 UTC
Post by Kyonshi
Post by Kyonshi
fan-controls.
Anyone got an idea what group might be the right one to ask, if
any?
Those are hobby machines, not to be taken seriously at all
in terms of being a replacement. You literally could spend money on a
used phone and get the same amount of joy from a desktop. The less you
know. Check out the book "Blue Ocean Strategy" where it
talks about making new products using outdated parts.
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=663878791#663878791
I don't have a clue what the jla forums are, but the link gives me the
response
"You appear to be in violation of our Terms Of Service.
Your request to view this site has been denied."
I'm also not sure what your response has to do with what I asked.
Replacement for what?
Not sure what is being asked either. I thought the OP was asking for a new
forum to ask questions about his SBC issues.

I disagree with the response to ignore SBCs and embrace an old smart phone.
If I read it correctly. Phones are usually SBCs with software you can't
manage youself. The phone supplier gives you the content they endorse not
a public view usually found on USENET. Even a laptop is pretty much an SBC
with some parts you can add to. Older PCs are reasonably trustworthy and
failed parts can be replaced.

Disclaimor: I don't trust or use a smart phone. Call me old fashioned I
just like talking in places where all views are presented.

Glad to meet you Kyonshi and Danart.
Kyonshi
2024-05-06 08:55:06 UTC
Post by David LaRue
Post by Kyonshi
Post by Kyonshi
[...]
I mean, sure SBCs are basically the same hardware as older phones, but
there is a distinct use for them for tinkering and making smaller
projects, especially nowadays that these things have become powerful
enough to serve as servers or even desktop machines. I have a small
Raspberry Pi that works well as an IRC server for example. The benefit
is also that they run on very low amounts of power and can thus be used
without having to think about it all that much.
Post by David LaRue
Disclaimor: I don't trust or use a smart phone. Call me old fashioned I
just like talking in places where all views are presented.
I like my smartphone, but I generally spend time to get rid of bloat and
install free software with F-Droid before using it.
Nice to meet you too.
Danart
2024-05-15 17:55:22 UTC
Post by David LaRue
Glad to meet you Kyonshi and Danart
Well thank you. First person on this forum to show actual interaction
I wish there was a place where I would non-stop
talking about techies and art related stuff. I have other interest a
well, but it becomes depressing when you see a repeat of this from m
being in college.

The most happiest students are the theater crowd. The most scared ar
those in the Computer Programming ( as far as I could tell ). I mea
wow to think about it.

But when we get to talking there is a lot more to say, because we hav
similar ideas in mind. Thanks for the thanks.
All computers are literally the size of a Gameboy, all you need is
sim-card reader and a modem or some sort and we are good to go o
internet/phone

David LaRue
2024-05-15 21:57:38 UTC
Post by Kyonshi
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=663878791#663878791
Hi Danart and those on the helpdesk,

I graduated with a B.S. in C.S. in 1985 from Iowa State University. I've
been developing embedded to large communication systems my entire career.
A couple years ago I was sidelined due to a brain issue that limited my
ability to view large systems, diagnose problems, and correct them quickly.
I'm still working on recovery. My memories are largely intact so I still
know most of what I learned and did. I'm still trying to become productive
for my former or possibly another employer.

You seem to be discussing SBCs for personal use. My second to last
position kept me employed for about 17 years. It had several variations
and many improvements over the years of a small SBC. The embedded portion
was written in Forth and burned into EEPROM on a small SBC which also
maintained a medium size lookup table in RAM. It implemented a link from
various PBX systems to the company's outgoing phone connection. The phone
jack side received a translated caller location station that the 9-1-1
Center could use to locate the actual caller behind a medium to large PBX.
A side output in serial fed into a relatively small PC application that
would translate the 9-1-1 directed digits to a similar database on a PC
that would convert the information stored and previously sent to the 9-1-1
system to a small network of computers inside a company and provide the
caller's location and name within the company to persons within the company
that wanted to know who had dialed 9-1-1 or a similar emergency number.
This system worked for PBXs that didn't support the full needs of a
customer. As 9-1-1 evolved companies wanted to know who was calling out
and usually tried to reach the caller before emergency personel arrived.

My last position lasted 12 years before I had to retire due to disability.
It was a rather large SBC about the size of a sheet of paper and ran many
program threads on an embedded linux system. The system is fault tolerant
and meant to work in medium to large building complexes. It was a team
project rather than a one person project like mentioned above.

The concepts in both of these products used the skills you would need to
develop for the small SBCs you seem to be discussing. So even though you
consider making small systems, those can be extended to rather large
systems. So what you are learning on the side or at home can usually help
you find employment suitable to your skills for larger systems too.

My best to all of you creating systems for the future. Do your best and
keep refining your skills. Use a certified college education if you can;
just ignore the onslought of IMHO useless information that may be required
for graduation.

David
-- creating products since early high school