Usenet in the Eternal February
Mike Gonta
2024-03-03 19:23:50 UTC
USENET in the Eternal February
The "September" has been on the decline since years gone by and with
Google's contribution ending in February, USENET has begun it's next
milestone.
The Xnews usenet reader for example, is free and usable on Windows.
https://news.eternal-september.org provides free read and write access to
all text newsgroups to participate in discussion.

Thank you, and have a nice February day.

Mike Gonta
look and see - many look but few see

https://mikegonta.com
Yaxley Peaks
2024-03-05 08:38:05 UTC
It is sad to see usenet decline and being taken over by pirates :(

I hope there are still people who will continue to post just because it
is fun to do so.

Have a nice February

- Yax
Justisaur
2024-03-05 15:16:26 UTC
Post by Yaxley Peaks
It is sad to see usenet decline and being taken over by pirates :(
I hope there are still people who will continue to post just because it
is fun to do so.
There's still some somewhat active groups. Nothing like the old days
though, and it looks like GG posting closing down really hit a couple hard.
Post by Yaxley Peaks
Have a nice February
You all too :)

-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'
Yaxley Peaks
2024-03-05 16:33:56 UTC
What are some good groups to just hang out in?
Justisaur
2024-03-05 23:41:16 UTC
Post by Yaxley Peaks
Post by Justisaur
There's still some somewhat active groups
What are some good groups to just hang out in?
Well, I'm into gaming and D&D so I frequent

comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
(there are other games sub groups, but action is really the only active
one and currently allows discussion of any pc games.)

For the D&D there's a couple but they're pretty much dead other than the
odd post:

rec.games.frp.dnd
rec.games.frp.misc (catch all for any role playing games, slightly more
active)

According the narkive.com these are the most active text newsgroups, but
I didn't find any that clicked with me. The uk.d-i-y is very active,
and half the ones that are active are UK, but I'm not UK:

rec.arts.tv
can.politics
sci.math
uk.d-i-y
alt.usage.english
rec.food.cooking
rec.sport.tennis
linux.debian.bugs.rc
rec.audio.opinion
rec.music.classical.recordings
sci.electronics.design
sci.physics.relativity
rec.sport.football.college
uk.sci.weather
uk.legal.moderated
uk.railway
comp.lang.python
sci.logic
--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\
`-'\ `--.___,
¶¬'\( ,_.-'
\\
^'
Yaxley Peaks
2024-03-06 07:07:57 UTC
Thank you, I will take a look at them
Have a nice day :)
Joshua Allen
thank you i shall print this list out for future reference!
Maik Wagner
2024-05-28 21:25:16 UTC
Hello Justisaur,
Post by Justisaur
For the D&D there's a couple but they're pretty much dead other than the
rec.games.frp.dnd rec.games.frp.misc (catch all for any role playing
games, slightly more active)
thanks for sharing these groups. I came across your posting by accident
as it has been a long time I visited Usenet and I am also an avid
Dungeons&Dragons player and Dungeon Master.

I tried "roleplaying" and "rpg" in my search box on my newsreader (Pan on
Slackware 15.0) to find suitable groups but couldn't find anything
suitable.

Best wishes from Wernigerode, Germany
Maik